"Strange how a teacup can represent, at the same time, the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company"

3.01.2010

Birthday Cake and Frosting

As parents, we try not to encourage instant (or early) gratification. You know, if your favorite part of the cake is frosting, what do you eat first...the cake or the frosting? Do you delay your gratification and save the frosting for last? Or are you all about the good stuff first - instant pleasure and not a minute later? Maybe you neither savor nor splurge but calmly enjoy your cake and frosting together? On more than one occasion, we have had this conversation with our kids. They have heard all about the noble merits of "saving the best for last" or "doing the hard things first." That being said, you might imagine London's surprise when Larry and I suggested that we actually celebrate her birthday one day early.

"Are you serious? Do you mean I could open birthday presents and everything?" she carefully clarifyed.
"Yes, birthday presents and everything!"

And so that is exactly what we did.
The reason for this lapse in our usually encouraged "delay of gratification" was this: Following a long standing Kendrick family tradition, London would be baptized on February 21st, the actual day of her birth. She and her cousin, Gavin, who is nine days older, were planning their baptismal service together. Extra special! London was more excited about getting baptized than any other child I have known. Not wanting to diminish her enthusiasm for this sacred occasion, we were hopeful that by celebrating London's birthday and her baptism separately, on different days, we would prevent the fun and excitement of party, presents, cake and candles from overshadowing the eternal significance of her baptism day and confirmation. London was only too happy to oblige our suggestion of progressive celebrating. As you can see below the birthday celebration was fun. We loved celebrating our Lady London and the eight years worth of blessings that she has added to our lives...but her baptism...well, it was delicious. Eternal "frosting" on her birthday cake!
(But, of course, we'll save that for last)!

















4 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun weekend! Happy birthday and baptism Londy girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing these pics! And I love that sweet girl! What a fun and meaningful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay London! I can't believe how fast you are growing up! I'm sad that I missed your special day. Love you and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest post and the cutest girl! So darling! Happy Belated Birthday London! :)

    ReplyDelete